Locks and Keys are tools added by BetterStorage that are used to lock Reinforced Chests and protect them from thievery. Each key that is crafted is completely unique, and can be duplicated or used to craft locks that can only be opened by that key.
To put a lock on a chest, simply right-click the chest when the desired lock is in hand. Locks are removed by shift + right-clicking the locked chest with the corresponding key in hand. Locks do not make chests unbreakable, but rather make the locked chest take longer to destroy than the average chest.
Keys could be considered customizable - for example, one could craft a normal key into an iron plated key with one iron ingot and still mark it with a color by crafting it with any dye. A player can also rename the key and still have it work with a precrafted lock. For the people with lots of keys, there are Keyrings to keep tidy. A player could use rings in keyring to remove locks - as long as there is the right key on the keyring.
Locks and keys can be enchanted for added layers of protection from the world of thievery around you.
- Persistance (I-V) - Makes the attached chest slower to break and more resistant to explosives
- Security (I-V) - Offers protection against key enchantments
- Shock (I-III) - Damages players trying to open, break or unlock the chest without the correct key.
- Trigger (I) - Makes the chest emit a redstone signal when players try to open, break or unlock the chest without the correct key.
- Lockpicking (I-V) - Opens / Unlocks a locked block once, then decreases the enchantment level.
- Unlocking (I-V) - Has the ability to open more locks than those which were crafted from it.
- Morphing (I-V) - Permanently changes the key into the one that would fit another lock.
Lockpicking can also remove the lock
Security lowers the effective level of any key enchantments to the point where they have no effect
Unlocking V has a 100% chance to open an unenchanted lock. Lower levels have less of a chance.
Keyrings can be used to store up to 9 keys in one item slot. To add keys to a keyring, shift right click the ground with it to open it's GUI and place your keys in its slots.
This iron key offers no differences compared to regular keys.
- Key Duplicating
- Color Coding